“Max has the ability to identify one’s passion in this sport and develop it not just through talent but through work ethic as well. He has influenced my interest in horsemanship and for the commitment to the sport. Max has acted as a mentor to me and has transformed me into a better rider and person. The support I received from Max through my junior career was incomparable and I am grateful to have had such a stable figure in my equestrian career.”
– TJ O’MARA | Former Student and Current Stonehenge Trainer, Winner of the 2016 Platinum Performance/USEF Show Jumping Talent Search Finals, the 2016 Pessoa/US Hunter Seat Medal Final, and the 2016 George H. Morris Excellence in Equitation Championship.
“I trained with Max for over 10 years throughout my junior years into my early years as a professional. Not only did he teach me everything I know about competing, but also everything about horsemanship and doing things the right way. As someone who is very conscious of my horses’ care, it was always such a relief to know my horses were receiving the best possible care and attention from the entire Stonehenge team.”
– BRIANNE GOUTAL | Former Student, Winner of the 2004 Platinum Performance/USEF Show Jumping Talent Search Finals, the 2004 Washington Equitation Finals, the 2005 Pessoa/US Hunter Seat Medal Finals, and the 2005 ASPCA Maclay Finals.
“While training with Max, I learned how to jump my first 5* Grand Prix. Max has a talent for pushing you to your fullest capabilities while also encouraging you to enjoy yourself along the way. I feel very lucky to have studied with Max for most of my junior years. He taught me how to be the professional I am today and how to get the most out of my career!”
– JESSICA SPRINGSTEEN | Current Student, Winner of the 2008 ASPCA Maclay National Championship, the 2009 Pessoa/USEF Hunter Seat Medal Final, and the 2009 George H. Morris Excellence in Equitation Class. Reserve Champion of the 2009 Platinum Performance/USEF Show Jumping Talent Search Finals.
“Max has taught me about the importance of believing in what you are doing. He has a program that he believes in, and that is why it works for so many people. That doesn’t mean that it is perfect or inflexible, but if you can really have some faith, you are far more likely to succeed.”
– NICOLE LAKIN | Current Student, Founder of BarnManager and Team Gold and Individual Silver at the 2006 North American Junior & Young Rider Championships (NAJYRC).
“Max has helped me find confidence in myself that I didn’t even know existed. He pushed me to surpass both my physical and mental limitations; in doing so taught me to truly appreciate every aspect of the sport. I have been so fortunate to learn from Max; I am the rider and person I am today because of him!”
– MADDY DARST | Current Student, Winner of the 2013 Washington Equitation Finals and the 1.50m Spruce Meadows ATCO Cup. Team Gold 2015 North American Junior & Young Rider Championship and Team Gold 2014 North American Junior & Young Rider Championship.
“Max was constantly watching for opportunities that would bring me success in the jumper ring; from providing me with his own horses to show, to finding me catch rides, to eventually connecting me with Conga, the horse I took to Young Riders and jumped in several Grand Prix with. We jumped the high juniors at WEF, qualified for all of indoors and took home the team silver at Young Riders. As I reflect back on everything I accomplished while riding with Max, it was all so amazingly exceptional that if I had it to do all over again I would do it 100 times over!”
– JACKIE LUBRANO | Former Student, Winner of 2008 R.W. “Ronnie” Mutch Championship, 2008 $10,000 Wölffer Estate Equitation Classic, 2009 Bates Equitation Final Standings, and the 2009 Christy Conrad Perpetual Trophy. Team Silver 2009 North American Junior & Young Rider Championship.
“The biggest thing I learned from my experiences training with and observing Max in this sport that I carry with me every day as a young professional myself are that in anything in life, problems and struggles are bound to occur. The only thing that can hold you back because of them is your attitude, not the problems or struggles themselves. With patience, respect, a positive attitude and confidence in those who guide you and in yourself, you can overcome any obstacle.”
– CHELSEA MOSS | Former Student, Professional at Stormfront Sales LLC. Team Gold 2009 North American Junior & Young Rider Championship, Team Bronze 2007 North American Junior & Young Rider Championship.
“Max and the entire team were incredibly supportive of my riding career. They created a sense of camaraderie among all of the riders and really made the barn feel like a family. Part of their philosophy was mastering the basics and building a strong foundation to truly prepare you for the show ring. This was something I carried with me not only into the ring but into my transition from a junior rider to a professional, a trajectory I would never have accomplished without Max’s guidance and support.”
– CHRISTY DISTEFANO | Former Student, Winner of 2009 R.W. “Ronnie” Mutch Championship and the 2009 Zone 2 ASPCA Maclay Regionals. 4th 2009 Bates Equitation Final Standings.